Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomeRegisterLatest imagesSearchLog in

Callsign Etymology

Go down 
+37
okami
gino
mr suave
pono
nuieve9
JETMAN
Range_02
grey923
lanski
quicksand
monstah
ashtyler
zero-nine
kC_23
mingfe
Komrad raksta_jah
sly fox
XONDERVON
FootLong
OverKill
Zuljin
rockhound
Papadhie
vshn
bodyguard
artery_69
Tupa
DimeSpinE
kadafi
The Slayer
navyseal33
yobski3131
krap
Zephyr
SyLvR
abis
TooTsY
41 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
TooTsY
Private
TooTsY

Male
Number of posts : 231
Forum XP points : 6151
Registration date : 2007-07-13

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 am

The origin or history of your callsigns. Post em here!

TooTsY
- was the name of my crush (IRL)
- modified it to become 2-TSY, my 2-meter(VHF) callsign... short for DY-2-TSY
- the [2] in 2-TSY was a regional prefix, indicating origins in the NorLu area
- been using that ever since.. (lame, huh?) Laughing

So how'd you come up with your callsign? Wink
Back to top Go down
abis
Master Gunnery Sergeant
abis

Male
Number of posts : 3871
Job : free lancer
Forum XP points : 7560

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:27 am

since my HS days i already used ABIS

tinagalog ko lang yung abyys...kasi favorite kung movie is "the abyys"...been using my callsign for almost 8 yrs na (thru computer games,CS skirmishes,rap,and todays sa airsoft na)..hehehe lol!

sabi rin sa history that abyys is an endless pit...parang ganun kasi ugali ko noon, sobrang dark noon... madilim/isolated/unseen/night person

until i come up with another call sign w/c is im using sa uaa boards and sa atru boards.. w/c is CHIRO

> "CH"r"I"ster "RO"sario

o di ba....ahihihihihihihihi
[b]

Last edited by on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:05 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/chiroCR
SyLvR
Cadet 3rd Year
SyLvR

Female
Number of posts : 101
Forum XP points : 6141
Registration date : 2007-07-18

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:31 am

Mine came from my passion with words. I am fond of manipulating letters.

I would also credit my name to my love for fantasy books. There are characters associated to the said color and who are always on the good and honorable side. There's this character who is an excellent warrior and a priestess who goes by the name Storm Silverhand. Not to forget, we also have silver dragons who are again on the good side.

Instead of the full and common spelling of the word, I decided to spell it without vowels since it is quite possible to do so. (Grabe, parang masters essay to ah! lol! )

Hence, silver became SYLVR
Back to top Go down
Zephyr
Cadet 1st Year
Zephyr

Female
Number of posts : 44
Forum XP points : 6143
Registration date : 2007-07-16

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:45 am

Zephyr was the Greek god of the west wind, which was considered the gentlest wind, especially if compared to the colder north wind, Boreas. The warm west wind brought the spring season. Even today the name of the god means a warm and light breeze.

Zephyr has been my chosen title of anonymity since high school, used in my amateur journalistic and poetic endeavors.

Interestingly, as I am a true Gemini, which is an air sign, zephyr is an apt name for me.

Furthermore, I am also slightly agoraphobic, a symptom often accompanying anxiety attacks pale . Attacks are often triggered by increased carbon dioxide. Thus, I love windy places, with lots of oxygen.

Also, I adore the beach where constant warm, gentle winds blow..in other words ZEPHYRs! hehehe..

And obviously, Zephyr starts with the letter Z..like my name..ZOE
Wink

Last edited by on Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:49 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
krap
Field Marshals
krap

Male
Number of posts : 876
Job : Chef
Forum XP points : 6194
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:46 am

Hays!!!

Simple Lang Ang Akin, Mahaba Haba.

I Love Linkin Park So I Decided na Baligtarin Ang "Linkin Park" Into "KrApNiKnIL" At Gamiting Screen Name Sa Online Games Like Gunbound, MU, GUNZ, Even Counter Strike. So Nung Meron Pang Computer Shop Ang Erpats Ko Tinatawag Akong KrAp Ng Mga Customers Namin Dahil Sa Screen Name

Minsan Nga Pinaglaruan Namin Yung Mga Screen Names Namin Sa Gunbound Na "Nagbabakla Baklahan" Naging KrApPy Ang Name Ko And Naging KrApPy D' KrAp

Oh Di Ba?? Wapak!!!

Last edited by on Thu Aug 16, 2007 1:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://krapniknil.multiply.com/
yobski3131
Forum Police
Forum Police
yobski3131

Number of posts : 2523
Forum XP points : 7339
Registration date : 2007-07-19

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 12:52 pm

tito boy, yobski, yobs, y-o-b, yankee oscar bravo, acid,onse

-boy gonzales
-i have my many pamangkins... they call me tito boy
-during my citizen band (cb) radio days in the 80' (11 meters) and vhf radio (2 meter) in the 90's, fellow radio enthusiast would call me tito boy in the group. i was always in the company of younger people(mostly underclassmen of slu boys high) and i was their older and more mature member then, and those who were within my age bracket would call me y o b or yobs,or yankee oscar bravo(phonetics) and onse(numerics)
-the name tito boy stuck in the office, even as older officemates would call me tito boy
-the call signs which i have been using as a radio hobbyist include :yankee oscar bravo, y-o-b, sneaky devil, paper acid, kb 11, onse, ex pres(used to be the president of the radio group)
-acid, because i have hyperacidity, and i used to do paper acid-four ways- when i was younger...paper ace.

Last edited by on Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
yobski3131
Forum Police
Forum Police
yobski3131

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 2:12 pm

11 meters pala cb, 2 meters vhf, stand corrected
Back to top Go down
yobski3131
Forum Police
Forum Police
yobski3131

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 2:14 pm

delta united two-yankee oscar bravo, for the group
Back to top Go down
navyseal33
Gunnery Sergeant
navyseal33

Male
Number of posts : 1399
Forum XP points : 6156

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 8:43 pm

navyseal33

my uncle is a United States Navy officer, i wear his woodland uniform in our games.
33 - thats the number of my favorite basketball player Scottie Pippen.

plain and simple Ü
lol!

Last edited by on Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:41 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
The Slayer
Corporal
The Slayer

Male
Number of posts : 532
Job : Regional Marketing Manager
Forum XP points : 6362
Registration date : 2007-08-07

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 9:15 pm

* Dati LHEOR (ROEHL) tawag sa kin nung college pa ko sa ULPB- RODEO pa sports ko nun.

* LHEOR pa rin nung Practical Shooting sports ko (dami ako trophies dati ha sa PRODUCTION DIVISION)

* PERO, nung nag negosyo ko ng computer shop sa amin sa Laguna, napahilig ako sa CS. wala lang, bigla ko naisip na dapat matindi pangalan ko... kaya naging The Slayer.... pero lagi ako napapatay... dapat nga, The Slayed. Nakaka Bad Trip nga dahil ako dapat ang pumapatay pero ako lagi NG UNANG NAPAPATAY.

* Nung napadpad ako sa baguio, may nakita akong shop ng mga airsoft sa maharlika... Nabentahan ako ng baril... D ako nakatulog dahil gusto ko ipaghiganti yung mga buhay kong namatay nung nag- C- CS pa ko kaya bumalik ako sa The Slayer.... Pero pati ba naman d2 sa Airsoft, Lagi din ako SLAYED/ KIA.

HEHEHE....
Back to top Go down
kadafi
Staff Sergeant
kadafi

Male
Number of posts : 844
Forum XP points : 6175

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyThu Aug 16, 2007 11:18 pm

KADAFI- ahm...dati kami tumutugtug ngaun di na masyado...kabarkada kasi nmin ung basista ng tumbleweeds kung inyo man silang nakikilala...local rock band ng baguio...ang apelydo nya is kadafi, pag college kasi usually aplyedo ang twgan dhil dun nkklala pag roll call na ng attendance...kaya twag saknya kadafi...naicp ko mgnda gmtn na name tas ang outfit ko sna is guerilla and balak ko blhin sana na gun noon is ak-47 pero sobra excited carbine nabli ko...ayun kaya kadafi ang ngng callsign ko...ayun poofff...and it became coco crunch!!!! rus!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
DimeSpinE
Forum Police
Forum Police
DimeSpinE

Number of posts : 300
Forum XP points : 6227

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 1:19 am

12th of july.. it was a gloomy afternoon that day.. around 4:47 pm if my memory serves me right.. i was traversing a narrow alley.. a scorched brick laden path.. hands in my pocket, headphones on my ears.. i was slowly plodding the path heading home.. it was one of those days where the tranquility was so surreal.. the creeping cold.. the rain drops resonating from afar.. the rustling wind.. the shudder that I felt across my body.. all of which seeming to presage the perplexing scenario that was about to unfold.. as i was about to take the corner.. an eerie voice suddenly trounced the music that I was listening to.. it came from a few steps behind me.. startled by the mysterious sound.. i was pacified from where I stood.. unable to move I stood there.. 5.. 10 seconds passed.. fear engulfed me.. 15.. 20 seconds elapsed.. curiosity took over me.. i took a deep breath.. mustered all the bravery that was left in me.. and.. just when i was about to look back.. the voice.. in a cheerful and inviting tone.. went "dimespine! intako man chow ed sir joey's carinderia ken malpas man ket airsoft id sidi ya! aw adi!"

from that time onwards.. dimespine.. my callsign was. wi-er.. Twisted Evil

seriously.. my callsign comes from the words dime and spine.. the etymology behind.. well.. that I will leave for your minds to crack and for those closest to me to know. pig
Back to top Go down
TooTsY
Private
TooTsY

Male

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 5:35 pm

SyLvR wrote:
Mine came from my passion with words. I am fond of manipulating letters.

I would also credit my name to my love for fantasy books. There are characters associated to the said color and who are always on the good and honorable side. There's this character who is an excellent warrior and a priestess who goes by the name Storm Silverhand. Not to forget, we also have silver dragons who are again on the good side.

Instead of the full and common spelling of the word, I decided to spell it without vowels since it is quite possible to do so. (Grabe, parang masters essay to ah! lol! )

Hence, silver became SYLVR

ma'am sylver, were/are you a D&D/AD&D player? If i am not mistaken, Storm Silverhand was a NPC in the game. well, i may be wrong... Very Happy

been a Dungeons and Dragons player way back and love fantasy books based on this too.. (Tolkien's works).. and some other authors... Wink
Back to top Go down
Tupa
Advisor
Advisor

Male
Number of posts : 1976
Forum XP points : 7700
Registration date : 2007-07-11

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyFri Aug 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Actually it should have been Tupang-Itim. Ito and ibininyag sa akin ng isang office mate ko nuong nagta-trabaho pa ako sa Texas Instruments. Mukha daw kasi akong mabait nuong interview ko pero nang ma-confirmed TI-er na ako naging matigas na raw ulo ko.
Back to top Go down
Zephyr
Cadet 1st Year
Zephyr

Female

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptySat Aug 18, 2007 1:22 pm

TooTsY wrote:

ma'am sylver, were/are you a D&D/AD&D player? If i am not mistaken, Storm Silverhand was a NPC in the game. well, i may be wrong... Very Happy

been a Dungeons and Dragons player way back and love fantasy books based on this too.. (Tolkien's works).. and some other authors... Wink

Talaga pong mahilig sa fantasy yan...pisces na pisces.mahilig sa fantasy, imagination, escape from reality.kaya masarap kalaro nung bata pa ako..magaling gumawa ng "scenarios". Di po ba ang D&D ang nabase sa LOTR? May LOTR na book kasi po ang uncle ko sa isteytz nung bata pa po siya.. 1955 po unang napublish ang LOTR, e ang D&D po 1973 pa nagawa..???Very Happy
Back to top Go down
TooTsY
Private
TooTsY

Male

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptySat Aug 18, 2007 3:47 pm

if i aint mistaken 1965 ata ung LOTR, i checked the book, i have the 58th reprint of the LOTR trilogy printed 77... hahaha antique.. not so sure about the exact date when D&D was made tho. i'm pretty sure i read about storm silverhand in a series of books by E. Gary Gygax (The World of Greyhawk ata), i'm not sure... i just borrowed them before.. Smile
Back to top Go down
artery_69
Cadet 1st Year
artery_69

Forum XP points : 6126
Registration date : 2007-08-02

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: ako   Callsign Etymology EmptySun Aug 19, 2007 1:09 pm

INSIGMA ang call sign since highskul d ko rin alam meaning nyan eh hehehe paki search nga po mas maganda new name ko ngaun ARTERY=mean the blood vessel that carries oxygenated blood from the to the capilliaries that supplies our organs hihihi
Back to top Go down
Zephyr
Cadet 1st Year
Zephyr

Female

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyMon Aug 20, 2007 4:41 pm

TooTsY wrote:
if i aint mistaken 1965 ata ung LOTR, i checked the book, i have the 58th reprint of the LOTR trilogy printed 77... hahaha antique.. not so sure about the exact date when D&D was made tho. i'm pretty sure i read about storm silverhand in a series of books by E. Gary Gygax (The World of Greyhawk ata), i'm not sure... i just borrowed them before.. Smile
Embarassed I'm sorry, but I am absolutely certain that The Lord of the Rings first edition was published in 1955. In America and in England. The publishing companies were Houghton-Mifflin and Allen & Unwin, respectively. As a matter of fact, "The Hobbit" was first published in 1937 in England and 1938 in America by the same publishers mentioned above. The 1965 edition you are referring to is the first PAPERBACK edition, by ACE books and Ballantine books. Either that or it may be the second edition of Houghton-Mifflin in slipcase cover..? Who is the Publisher of your antique book? (By the way, wow naman po.kkinggit. Where'd you get your book?)Question As for Storm Silverhand, I admit that I am completely clueless. I only read high fantasy on the side, and never dare to touch Pseudo-fantastic mainstream (a.k.a Romantic fantasy).

Please correct me if you find evidence to the contrary. Science Fiction is more of my expertise.Smile

I'm a frustrated bibliophile in a nurse's uniform. My dream is to be a rare, antiquarian books dealer...when I'm filthy rich..which is probably never No

NB: Sana a part of the Silmarillion will be made into a movie. The directors can fill in the convo and stuff, as long as they stay true to the plot. The book would explain a lot of things for those LOTR enthusiasts who are not fond of reading.Wink Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien was partly responsible for the popularization of the genre "fantasy"? Also, he was a close friend of C.S. Lewis.my favorite childhood author..This is so way off-topic!

Last edited by on Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
abis
Master Gunnery Sergeant
abis

Male

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyMon Aug 20, 2007 10:34 pm

OT:wala bang adik d2 ng nicholas linear novels at tom clancy books?ahihihihi lol!
Back to top Go down
TooTsY
Private
TooTsY

Male

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyTue Aug 21, 2007 10:14 am

Zephyr wrote:
TooTsY wrote:
Embarassed I'm sorry, but I am absolutely certain that The Lord of the Rings first edition was published in 1955. In America and in England. The publishing companies were Houghton-Mifflin and Allen & Unwin, respectively. As a matter of fact, "The Hobbit" was first published in 1937 in England and 1938 in America by the same publishers mentioned above. The 1965 edition you are referring to is the first PAPERBACK edition, by ACE books and Ballantine books. Either that or it may be the second edition of Houghton-Mifflin in slipcase cover..? Who is the Publisher of your antique book? (By the way, wow naman po.kkinggit. Where'd you get your book?)Question As for Storm Silverhand, I admit that I am completely clueless. I only read high fantasy on the side, and never dare to touch Pseudo-fantastic mainstream (a.k.a Romantic fantasy).

Please correct me if you find evidence to the contrary. Science Fiction is more of my expertise.Smile

I'm a frustrated bibliophile in a nurse's uniform. My dream is to be a rare, antiquarian books dealer...when I'm filthy rich..which is probably never No

NB: Sana a part of the Sylmarilion will be made into a movie. The directors can fill in the convo and stuff, as long as they stay true to the plot. The book would explain a lot of things for those LOTR enthusiasts who are not fond of reading.Wink Did you know that J.R.R. Tolkien was partly responsible for the popularization of the genre "fantasy"? Also, he was a close friend of C.S. Lewis.my favorite childhood author..This is so way off-topic!

You are right ma'am, the book i have is the paperback edition. did some googling and it turns out the Hobbit was published in '37, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring '54, The Two Towers '54, and The Return of the king in '55.

The Silmarillon was a very difficult read for me, probably owing to the fact that book i read prior to this was The Hobbit. I haven't touched the LOTR series before this time. Besides, it was a bunch of different stories, mostly historical accounts of the different races in Middle Earth. Anyway, the only part I liked in this book was the story of Beren and Luthien. Ginawa ko syang book report or something dati... hahaha.. although it was only part of the entire book, I guess my teacher didn't notice.

The other short stories I have of JRR Tolkien are Farmer Giles of Ham and Smith of Wotton Major. Two really short stories, bound in a very thin paperback.

sorry, we've deviated so much from the actual thread topic. Sir Admin, would you mind moving the OT posts in this thread to a different thread? Thanks a lot.
Back to top Go down
bodyguard
Sergeant
bodyguard

Male
Number of posts : 615
Forum XP points : 6325
Registration date : 2007-08-22

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyFri Aug 24, 2007 10:06 am

My callsign bodyguard started when I join a group of Cockfighters in our hometown in Asingan, Pangasinan where me and my cousins breed quality fighting cocks that resulted to a very high score in 2 days time 11 wins and 1 draw, considering that we are just a neophyte in the field of cockfighting. As time goes on and as the winning roles over, people from different places begun to befriend me like a politician only to serve their interest. So lahat na ng laban ko lagi silang nakasunod sa akin that even shows that they are my bodyguards salamat namn sa diyos at palagi kaming nananalo at marami akong natutulongang tao, and on one big time derby the good mayor of San Carlos even joke me "ang dami mo namang bodyguard mas marami pa sa akin" hehehe. One thing more nataon din na sumikat ang film na "The Bodyguard" kaya parang na timing yong time and event ne yon. So from then on i use the name bodyguard as my entry name in cockfighting, a past word an alias and now my call sign in the Air Soft Group.
Back to top Go down
vshn
Airsofter
vshn

Number of posts : 5
Forum XP points : 6129
Registration date : 2007-08-02

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptySat Aug 25, 2007 4:13 am

I'm a graffiti artist. I belong to a graffitti group back in the States called "Illegal Styles Krew/Crew" or "ISK/ISC". My "tagname"(as we graffiti artitist like to call it) was "VISON"(pronouced "vision"). at dat time it was spelled "VISON". after sometime, I changed the spelling to "VSHN".
Back to top Go down
abis
Master Gunnery Sergeant
abis

Male

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptySat Aug 25, 2007 7:41 am

vshn wrote:
I'm a graffiti artist. I belong to a graffitti group back in the States called "Illegal Styles Krew/Crew" or "ISK/ISC". My "tagname"(as we graffiti artitist like to call it) was "VISON"(pronouced "vision"). at dat time it was spelled "VISON". after sometime, I changed the spelling to "VSHN".

OT: wow your a graffity artist? i admire a lot about graffiti and its makers, so your into hip hop thang? Wink... i bet you see a lot of those tags here in baguio... thats not graffiti right?heheheehehe i use to admire graffiti but not vandalism

cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
navyseal33
Gunnery Sergeant
navyseal33

Male
Number of posts : 1399
Forum XP points : 6156

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptySun Aug 26, 2007 2:26 pm

sir, pwede ba magpa graffiti ng bengbeng? like yung ginawa ni swagger sa sniper riffle nya Ü dba abis?
Back to top Go down
Papadhie
Forum Police
Forum Police
Papadhie

Male
Number of posts : 1990
Job : NgaRz
Forum XP points : 6981
Registration date : 2007-07-31

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology EmptyMon Aug 27, 2007 4:26 pm

My Real name is DARWIN.
Friends call me PAPA DARWIN or PAPA ''D'' i dont know why..(?)
but i got the hang of it and made a callsign out of it. Cant think
of a best callsign than my name in it! and what im known with
my friends.

Last edited by on Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:33 pm; edited 4 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Callsign Etymology Empty
PostSubject: Re: Callsign Etymology   Callsign Etymology Empty

Back to top Go down

Callsign Etymology
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next